NORWICH THORPE RAILWAY STATION.
MARINE PARADE and WELLINGTON TERRACE LOWESTOFT.
Architect. JOHN LOUTH CLEMENCE.
Ref: Suffolk PRO,Lowestoft, Peto's Lowestoft by Christopher Brooks. also Malcolm White's books of old postcards and photographs.
Greetings from Lowestoft ISBN 0953248550
A Different Lowestoft.ISBN 0954732314
Lowestoft Antiquity.ISBN 0953248577
A Smile from old Lowestoft. ISBN 0954732332
JOHN LOUTH CLEMENCE [1823/1911] as well as being a local architect, surveyor and mayor of Lowestoft in 1886.Ref: The Times.Nov 11th.
He was the works manager of Lucas Brothers works on South Wharf and also commanded the 17th SUFFOLK RIFLE VOLUNTEERS entirely raised from the Lucas Brother's workforce.
Ref: Sir S.M.Peto. Rev E.C.Brooks.
March 1968. The East Suffolk Gazette reported that the Lucas Brothers's chief engineer, MR THOMAS SMITH's daughter JANE, married JAMES HUNTING at ST JOHN'S CHURCH, LOWESTOFT. designed by J.L.CLEMENCE and built by Lucas Brothers.
CLIVEDEN built for the DUKE OF SUTHERLAND
Architect, SIR CHARLES BARRY.
Ref: Cliveden, the Place and the People, James Crathorne, Collins and Brown.
Buildings of England. Pevsner.
NORWICH WATER WORKS. Higham.
Company capital, £60,000 in £10 shares.
Engineers were MR LYNDE, then MR AYRIS.C.E. and then MR HAWKSLEY.
Engines and pipes from COCHRANE and Co of Middlesborough.
Norwich Chronicle. Feb 22nd. Oct 4th 1851
Dec 20th 1851,
Norfolk News. Feb 22nd. Nov 15th. 1851
June 12th. Sept 4th 1852.
MESSRS.LUCAS BROTHERS opened at 11.BELVEDERE ROAD.LAMBETH.
Previously THOMAS GRISSELL's yard when he was SAMUEL MORTON PETO's partner in PETO AND GRISSELL.
Belvedere Road was where County Hall is now.
The Lucas Wharf was just down from Westminster Bridge. Ref: Four Very Detailed Maps. London 1863
Old House Books, Moretonhamstead, Devon.
THOMAS married MARY AMELIA CHAMBERLIN [1833/Dec 7th.1905] on June 2nd. She was the third daughter of ROBERT CHAMBERLIN of Norwich. [June 29th 1802/June 30th 1876]
9.KENSINGTON PALACE GARDENS.LONDON.
For ANSELMO DE ARROYAVE. £4,280.
11.KENSINGTON PALACE GARDENS.LONDON.
For DON CRISTOBAL DE MURIETTA.£5,200.
Architect, SYDNEY SMIRKE.
DARTFORD CREEK PAPER MAKING COMPANY.
to plans by 'eminent practical men' from an advertisement in The Times.
THE LOWESTOFT WATER, GAS and MARKET COMPANY. CAPITAL £25,000 raised in £10 shares and £5,000 to buy the old gas works, construct water works and erect a market house in the old part of town. The water works are in Middle West Field where a deep well supplied water to a water tower in Kirkley.
Ref: History and Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk.
The same book mentions buildings erected by Lucas Brothers in Lowestoft. A Mechanics Institution,
A sailor's home, 2 chapels, the bonding warehouse,
The Royal Hotel, The Esplanade, The Marine parade,
St John's Church and terraces in south Lowestoft.
ST JOHN'S CHURCH,, Architect J.L.CLEMENCE.
Ref: Suffolk PRO.Lowestoft. www.suffolkchurches.co.uk
William White, History of Suffolk.1855.
WOOLWICH ARSENAL Alterations to Laboratory Square.
Ref: www.geograph.org.uk/photo/895906 and ODNB
The gun factory and gas works were not finished until 1857.
Ref: ILN April 18th.1857. The Times.march 29th 1856. May 19th 1856, July 9th 1856. march 31st 1857.
Lucas Brothers lease the SOMERLEYTON BRICK WORKS from Samuel Morton Peto on a 21 year lease, at £70 a year plus one shilling per 1000 bricks and 6 pence for 1000 tiles or drainpipes. Their brick works manager was DANIEL KNIGHTS, who took over the lease in 1875.
ref: 749/1/829 Suffolk PRO Lowestoft.
ST MARY'S CHURCH. SOMERLEYTON, rebuilt to the designs of JOHN THOMAS.
Ref: The Buildings of England, Suffolk, Pevsner.
15 and 15B KENSINGTON PALACE GARDENS.LONDON.
For GEORGE MOORE.
Architect could be J.T.KNOWLES from designs by ROBERT RICHARDSON BANKS [for number 12]