34.OXFORD STREET. Remodelled after designs by MESSRS. BARRY AND BANKS.
ĎA commanding business premises on the eastern side of Oxford Street, 20 year lease for sale.
Ref: The Times. Jan 26th 1861.
THE LONDON BRIDGE TERMINUS HOTEL.
THE CHURCH MISSIONARY SOCIETY.
Salisbury Square, nr Fleet Street. London.
Architect: Mr BRACEBRIDGE.
Contract for £13,000.
Foundation stone laid Feb.5th 1861
Ref: The Times.Feb.6th 1861.
Ipswich Journal Feb.1861
THE CAVALRY BARRACKS.COLCHESTER CAMP.
Ref: The Times, Jan.25th. May 5th 1862. Jan 19th 1863.
THE PALACE HOTEL. Buckingham Gate. London.
Ref: ILN.Jan 4th. The Times April 3rd 1862.
The Newcastle Courant. Dec.13th 1861.
THE WESTMINSTER CHAMBERS.
Ref: The Times,Dec 10th. I.C.E.
Bath Chronicle.Oct.23rd. 1862.
London Daily News. Dec 10th.1862. March 31st 1863.
THE INTERNATIONAL EXHIBITION OF 1862.
Contractors: LUCAS AND KELK.
Architect: FRANCIS FOWKE.
The Commissioners of the International Exhibition of 1862:
The Duke of Buckingham, Earl Granville, Sir Wentworth Dilke, Mr Baring and Mr Fairburn.
Sir Henry Cole, facilitator for Prince Albert, pushed the project although there were some major setbacks, starting with the death of Prince Albert in 1861, as well as the American Civil War and the war in Italy.
Civil Engineer: ALFRED MEESON.
R.M.ORDISH of Ordish and Lefevre finalised the bracing of the roof.
H.SAXON SNELL and J.W.GROVER Fowkeís chief draughtsmen.
JOHN LIDDELL architect for the Department of Art and Science.
Lieut.E.F.BROOKS and CAPT.W.C.PHILLPOTTS
Seconded from the Royal Engineers.
JOHN FOWLER: engineer.
WILLIAM BURNS: architect.
MR REDGRAVE.R.A. Superintendant of the Committee selecting pictures for the exhibition.
MR J.G.CRACE. Superintendant of decoration.
COL.SHADWELL.1st general manager until he was posted to Canada.
F.R.SANDFORD.ESQ. Manager of the exhibition having been secretary to the Commissioners.
S.CLEMENCE: Foreman for LUCAS AND KELK.
He also designed the scaffolding.
THE THAMES IRON COMPANY: components for the two domes.
MESSRS.HECK and SONS: supplied the boilers.
Ref: www.aim25.ac.uk www.scienceandsociety.co.uk
The Times.Feb.13th . ILN from Jan 11th onward.
THE OPENING OF THE INTERNATIONAL EXHIBITION.
Ref: The Times.May 2nd ILN.
The Queen did not visit until June 12th 1963.
Ref: The Times. June 13th
Since the exhibition did not make a profit, the Contractors retained ownership of the building which they subsequently sold to the Alexandra Palace Co.
THE METROPOLITAN AND DISTRICT RAILWAY.
Engineer and architect JOHN WOLFE BARRY.C.E.
Contractors: LUCAS BROTHERS, LUCAS AND KELK, LUCAS AND AIRD.
Opened Jan 10th 1863.
Ref: www.scienceandsociety.co.uk. www.Itmuseum.co.uk. ILN.
Kentish Chronicle April 8th 1865 metropolitan and St John's Wood Line.
London Standard. Jan 12th 1864.
Morning Post Feb 5th 1878. Earl's Court Station.
THE ROYAL HOTEL, later THE GREAT EASTERN HOTEL.
111 Prince of Wales Road.[demolished 1963]
For the City of Norwich Hotel and Public Assembly Rooms Co.
Architects; BANKS AND BARRY.
Ref: Norfolk News. March 14th 1863.
MESSRS. HARVEY AND HUDSONís BANK.Norwich.
Ref: The Times. Sept 7th Norfolk News Oct 7th 1865.
12A KENSINGTON PALACE GARDENS for SIR SAMUEL MORTON PETO, who moved in in 1865 but lost his fortune in 1866 on the Gurney, Overend Bank crash and sold the house to THOMAS LUCAS.
CHRYSTAL PALACE High Level Station Subway.
Ref: Building News.1863 page 337.
The London Building World of the 1860s.John Summerson.
Photograph by Nick Catford.
CHARING CROSS STATION AND HOTEL.
Engineer: JOHN HAWKSHAW.
General Manager: MR EBERALL.
Traffic Superintendant for South Eastern Co: MR KNIGHT. Superintendant for Charing Cross Station: MR COCKBURN.
Ref; Buildings of England. Pevsner.
ILN.June 11th 1864. The Times Dec 3rd.1864.
I.C.E. Lucas Works.
London Standard. Aug 19th 1863. Jan 12th 1864.
Bury and Norfolk Post. April 14th 1863.
Burnley Gazette. Feb 7th 1863.
London Daily News. Morning Post. Jan 12th 1864.
Kentish Chronicle. Oct 3rd 1863.
THE NORTH LONDON RAILWAY. [City branch]
BROAD STREET STATION with WARING BROTHERS.
LUDGATE HILL STATION.
Architect: JOHN TAYLOR.
Contractors: LUCAS BROTHERS for MESSRS PETO AND BETTS.
Engineer: MR CUBITT.
Ref: The Morning Post. Dec 22nd 1864.
Engineer: JOHN HAWKSHAW.
Ref: www.lonwalk.ndirect.co.uk. the Times Dec 3rd 1864.
THE STAR AND GARTER HOTEL.RICHMOND.
Architect EDWARD MIDDLETON BARRY.
Richmond Local Studies Collection.
THE MONKEY HOUSE, AVIARY AND 3 LODGES. LONDON ZOO.
Architect: ANTHONY SABINE JNR.
Ref: ILN July 24th.1864 The Times May 1st 1865